Thursday, July 7, 2011

Dreading/Looking Forward to Workouts...

In order to get stronger and faster, or to just test ourselves, sometimes we have to put ourselves through a lot of pain.  A LOT.  It always generates a mixed bag of feelings for me when I open up TrainingPeaks and see one of those workouts on my schedule.  We all know them – they have names like “Over-Unders” and “Tempo Intervals”.   We should actually start calling them by more true-to-meaning names such as “Hopping on the Pain Train” and “Blood, Sweat, and Tears.”  I’m kidding, well, kind of.  I do tend to dread some of these workouts for a couple of days leading up to it, but at the same time I look forward to being able to put in some really, really good work.  One that I’ve recently had on my schedule a couple of times is a run including 4x5 minute tempo intervals.  It’s a classic gut buster.  The first interval is okay. The second one usually feels the best (relative term here) after I’ve sufficiently warmed up.  I generally start seeing some faint stars toward the end of the third one, and if I’ve done my job correctly, I will fall off pace toward the end of the fourth. When I’m able to nail this workout, I feel on top of the world.  When I don’t, I still give it my best shot and feel satisfied that I’ve done a lot to improve my run, both physically and mentally.  Because of the benefits, I guess I dread it and look forward to it at the same time.

When it comes to open water swimming, however, I look forward to these workouts for a different reason. I actually do enjoy them. It’s nice to be out on a smooth lake in the early morning hours and just listen to my arms moving through the water. It’s oddly comforting to me, but maybe that’s because a lot of times I’m more comfortable in the water than on land. Unless there are fish I can see. Then I hate it.

Are there certain workouts you either dread or look forward to? Maybe both?

Happy training, everyone!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment